PDA

View Full Version : Newberry is a wasteland

3rdplace
09-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Down here shooting the state FITA and was blown away by the amount of trees cut down around the Easton facility. Where the practice range, known distance and the couple ranges were to the right as you come in are completely gone. Only thing left is behind the water tower and at the end of the ball fields. Everything else is gone.

Elkhunter
09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Oh Oh, that don't sound good --- it didn't look that great around there from the last "haircut" they gave it. Sounds to me like there is a new "dessert shootout" in the making. They might wanna spray Miracle Grow around the facility, so we would at least have some tall weeds to buffer the high winds sometimes faced with down there. I wonder if ASA will be thinking of a new location for 2015 ???

carlosii
09-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Oh Oh, that don't sound good --- it didn't look that great around there from the last "haircut" they gave it. Sounds to me like there is a new "dessert shootout" in the making. They might wanna spray Miracle Grow around the facility, so we would at least have some tall weeds to buffer the high winds sometimes faced with down there. I wonder if ASA will be thinking of a new location for 2015 ???

to heck with 2015, what about 2014?

Elkhunter
09-08-2013, 01:26 PM
2014 ??? --- I would imagine that is all "set in stone", because of a trifle obligation called a "contract". Maybe Easton figures on buying up all the leftover unsold artificial Xmas trees at a heckuva bargain after Xmas this year, and setting them all out on the ranges to simulate wooded conditions, and act as wind barriers --- then once the shoot is over put them all in storgae until 2015.

carlosii
09-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Down here shooting the state FITA and was blown away by the amount of trees cut down around the Easton facility. Where the practice range, known distance and the couple ranges were to the right as you come in are completely gone. Only thing left is behind the water tower and at the end of the ball fields. Everything else is gone.

this report needs pictures...

Elkhunter
09-08-2013, 11:57 PM
I think yer too late Carlos --- 3rd place already on his way home --- probably didn't have a camera with him anyway.

3rdplace
09-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Got a couple but they're on the phone and need to be resized. From the water tower on the left all the way around the front entrance and down the right side all the way to the back is gone. So everything that was behind the bags is gone, everything where the 3d practice range is gone and where the known distance ranges were is gone.

Elkhunter
09-09-2013, 02:20 AM
WOW --- sounds like the only thing left is the small area where we went several times to the local Newberry Archery Club shoots last Winter and Spring, which is located directly behind the ball field south of the water tower along the east side of the property --- at least I hope that is left !!!

3rdplace
09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
The ranges behind the water tower and the ones all the way in the back behind the ball fields are still there.

carlosii
09-09-2013, 12:11 PM
will be headed down to WDW in mid october. i plan on swinging by and seeing the conditions for myself. might have to reconsider Gainesville in 2014.

3rdplace
09-09-2013, 01:30 PM

If this worked its a panoramic from the water tower to the entrance.

3rdplace
09-09-2013, 01:33 PM

This is looking Southeast from where the bags are located behind the main building. The trees in the background are along the pasture to the East. Very far away.

It will work out but there will be some pretty good walks to some of the ranges.

3rdplace
09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I think they said they had 60 acres to work with still. All the land that was cut was private land that bordered the facility. Basically everything South and West is gone and a little on the North side.

carlosii
09-09-2013, 04:45 PM

This is looking Southeast from where the bags are located behind the main building. The trees in the background are along the pasture to the East. Very far away.

It will work out but there will be some pretty good walks to some of the ranges.

just what the geezers need...longer walks.

Elkhunter
09-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Maybe Newberry will provide shuttles like Cullman did ??? !!! Looks like everyone should ask for an "inflatable tree" for Xmas to take to the shoot with them.!!! Can you just hear it --- when 1500 shooters all let the air out of their trees at the same time ??? !!!

carlosii
09-10-2013, 12:57 AM
now here's what i propose...if everyone would bring their artificial Christmas tree from home, we could set up the ranges with 'em.

Elkhunter
09-10-2013, 02:23 AM
Hmmmmmmm, let's see now --- artificial vs. inflatable ???

artificial would be: higher cost
heavier
pickier
might cause a false allergenic reaction
BUT
more weather resistant

inflatable would be: cheaper
lighter
easier to pack
BUT
more vulnerable to adverse weather

Then again we could leave it up to personal preference !!!

Elkhunter
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Just had a positive thought about the Newberry Dessert Shootout--- ain't nobody gotta worry about their arrows hittin a tree enroute to the target !!!

Carlos, there ain't nuthin to reconsider bout Newberry 2014 --- the geezers'd be lost without their patriark there --- would you also pass up the Geezer Bowl too ???

bhtr3d
09-12-2013, 08:38 AM
That's been like that for some time....the trees that have been cut where all on land not owned by the city....
Where the sims ranges and practice 3d ranges were, had been cut to look like ya was shooting in florida scrub land or western prairie. ...last time I shot up on the 3d range in the back

3rdplace
09-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Tim the cuttings are pretty fresh. It will be a long walk to any woods that can accommodate a range. Only thing left is the ranges way in the back and the couple behind the water tower. They told me they still had 60 acres to work with.

We're not talking thinned but clear cut.

carlosii
09-14-2013, 12:39 AM
i think i'm liking this less and less...:(

Elkhunter
09-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Oh Oh Tim --- sounds like somebody snuck into your backyard while you weren't there, and "leveled it" ???

I guess we will have to wait until the Geezer Squads Chief Investigator Carlos checks it out in mid-October, and gives us a "state of the situation address" !!!

bhtr3d
09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
hhhhmmmm.....interesting....... I swear there was something here in this spot......

3rdplace
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't think it's going to be a real problem just kind of surprised by the amount of clear cut. We always shoot the farthest range there anyways so it's not a big deal for me. Practice, known distance ranges will have to be moved though.

Elkhunter
09-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Sure will beat the heck out of having to shoot with swim fins and snorkels at floating decoys though --- remember that place called Myrtle Beach --- we had everything but sea shells on the courses, and had to keep our eyes open for big fish with fins sticking out of the water, as they swam by --- LOL !!! Us hard-core 3Dr's'll just suck it up, and "adapt" --- we have before, and we can do it again --- CHAAAARGE !!! --- BRING IT ON !!!

3rdplace
09-26-2013, 04:52 PM
I was looking back at my post and thought maybe it looked like doom and gloom which it is not. Just will need to walk a little farther for the practice range.

Elkhunter
09-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Not to worry Mikie --- I'm sure, that when Carlossi goes down there the middle of October, and gives it the "Geezer Scan", that he'll give it a Good Terrain Seal stamp of approval.

carlosii
09-27-2013, 11:52 AM
I was looking back at my post and thought maybe it looked like doom and gloom which it is not. Just will need to walk a little farther for the practice range.

that's called, "suckin' wind".

Its Amazing
09-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Look at Google Maps.....Its probably all of the "green" pines that are kaput

3rdplace
09-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Actually the dark green ones are all that is left.

Elkhunter
09-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Hey Carlos --- manana October is upon us --- y'all said y'all was gonna go down to WDW in mid-October --- you gotta date firmed up yet ???
You gonna put "Operation Geezer Scan" into effect on the way down, or the way back ??? As "all inquisitive eyes will be upon you", you could pretend to be a "Quick Response Unit", and perform it on the way down --- that way we would all be in the know quicker !!! --- What say there "Inspector C" ???

carlosii
10-01-2013, 12:11 AM
the Princess will be in a hurry to get to WDW so there will be no stopping on the way down...leaving here on the 14th returning on the 20th.

carlosii
10-08-2013, 12:34 AM
per Mike's post i will not be making a side trip to newberry to inspect the ranges on the way to Walt Disney World nor on the way from Walt Disney World.

3rdplace
10-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Don't worry guys ASA has it under control.

Elkhunter
10-08-2013, 02:16 AM
N' here "Inspector C", I was just about fixin ta suggest you could go down to Newberry now, since yer so boared, n' plant trees til the shoot weekend come about. Oh well, perty soon the snow'll fly in Hoosherville n' ya can steady date yer shovel until the "Spring Thaw" do ya part.

carlosii
10-22-2013, 09:30 AM
i did not stop at newberry...i'm taking Mike's word for it.

i can confirm that Georgia has the worst drivers to be found on the I 75/I 24/I 65 corridors. i did find out that in order to get a drivers license in that state you must send in two General Mills coupons and an unused lottery ticket. the cops only stop cars with out of state licenses.

i'd rather face an 8 foot rattler than an under 30 female Georgia driver...they all think they're nascar heroes and love to tailgate and cut you off at the pass...
next time i go to Florida i'm goin' by way of Alabama! :mad: :D

Elkhunter
10-22-2013, 12:43 PM
I agree with ya --- I-75 is TERRIBLE --- Ya know out in the Wild Wild West they pack a couple shootin irons --- well, in Georgia (Wild Wild Southeast) they pack a couple phones, so they can talk on one, and text on the other at the same time while "oh, who's drivin" ??? --- they must have some kind of aftermarket auto-pilot --- BUT, just FYI, I here tell Bamas' worser !!!

We felt yer breeze as ya whizzed by us on I-75 --- thought ya'd give us a call on the fly !!!

Older
10-23-2013, 09:43 PM
You have to understand not every one is as courteous an polite as i am I always drive 10 miles slower than the speed limited an keep at least a 9 car space between me an the next car I bet those r snow birds with a ga or the great state of ALABAMA rental [just saying]

Elkhunter
10-24-2013, 12:33 PM
"10mph slower" ??? ---- YEEEEEEAH RIGHT !!! --- "snow birds" ??? --- are those them big white geese, that fly South every Winter ??? --- ain't seen none fly over yet --- they sure do make a racket when they do.

Older
10-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Seriously tho most do not drive in nascar but they do race on a lot of short tracks r u sure u were on the interstate an not on one of the tracks r u could have got there on practice day an the track was closed ( just saying)

bhtr3d
10-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Seriously tho most do not drive in nascar but they do race on a lot of short tracks r u sure u were on the interstate an not on one of the tracks r u could have got there on practice day an the track was closed ( just saying) ......So,,,,, I have a question for you sir.......I want to know if your and your group are going to come down and shoot the geezerfest event....the sunday before the classic????

Older
10-25-2013, 12:43 AM
I would like to if the other guys can get off will talk to them in nov an c how they fill about it

carlosii
10-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Seriously tho most do not drive in nascar but they do race on a lot of short tracks r u sure u were on the interstate an not on one of the tracks r u could have got there on practice day an the track was closed ( just saying)

i was only driving where my TomTom gps told me to...btw, when was the last time some gear-head from Georgia won a nascar race anyway? maybe Awesome Bill from Dawsonville?

Older
10-25-2013, 01:20 PM
That was why I said they only drove short track they caint get enough practice the snow birds always seam to block the fast grove ;) their having to talk to their pit crew to find the first place they can break the draft an pass:cool::rolleyes: ( just saying)

Elkhunter
10-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Carlos --- y'all gotta watch them Tom Toms --- drive by it n' ya might end up in Nome, Alaska when ya wanted ta go ta Florida --- ya got all yer "honey-dos" done yet, since yer back from yer trip ???

Georgia NASCAR drivers --- their wherever ya look !!!

Tim --- yer still a wee bit too early for the Geezerfest --- that's a good Winter thread for when Clawed n' Carlos are snowed in fer days on end --- we don't wanna wear that'n out too soon.

carlosii
10-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Tim --- yer still a wee bit too early for the Geezerfest --- that's a good Winter thread for when Clawed n' Carlos are snowed in fer days on end --- we don't wanna wear that'n out too soon.

exactly so, Elkie...i'm still workin' on this dang bronchitis...to Tim, all things in their time, young Jedi.

Elkhunter
10-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Is that the same case a broncitus y'all had at Newberry last February ??? --- That must be some kinda fancy "Indiana Crud" er somethin' --- needless ta say there's somethin wrong with you maaaan --- maybe you should move down South ta get cured --- ya know like wild hog bacon !!! Heck, weed sell y'all are place if ya want. Then ya'd get all kindsa NASCAR drivin practice ta git yer license --- course then Danica'd just' blame ya fer runnin her inta the wall !!! I'm sure a couple a pints a genuine Georgia "shine'd cure ya'll permanently !!!

carlosii
10-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Is that the same case a broncitus y'all had at Newberry last February ??? --- That must be some kinda fancy "Indiana Crud" er somethin' --- needless ta say there's somethin wrong with you maaaan --- maybe you should move down South ta get cured --- ya know like wild hog bacon !!! Heck, weed sell y'all are place if ya want. Then ya'd get all kindsa NASCAR drivin practice ta git yer license --- course then Danica'd just' blame ya fer runnin her inta the wall !!! I'm sure a couple a pints a genuine Georgia "shine'd cure ya'll permanently !!!
same ol' same ol' Elkie...had it since early august and can't seem to kick it. i do appreciate your kind concern and offers of southern baked cures.

Elkhunter
10-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Me thinkum y'all better get ya a different sawbones --- sounds ta me like ya got sumpin wrong with ya worser than bronchitis --- ya might need a shot in the butt er sumpin' !!! --- whatabout that COPD stuff ??? --- This is gettin sirius man yer always sick. Maybe ya shoulda stopped by the ranch on yer way back for a fisical --- I don't charge that much --- you'd be safer in my hands than Allstate !!!

C.Roberts
10-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Think I may be suffering from a bad case of the "can't help it's and can't seem to help it. What do you thinkum would be a sure fire cure for that, Elkie?

Elkhunter
10-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Move ta southern Georgia n' buy are ranch n' join the "I can't help it nation" --- can't help it we all is wanabe NASCAR drivers --- can't help it we're such "William Tell type archers" --- can't help it if weins all got false teeth" --- can't help it are football players are Dawgs --- can't help it we ain't got no snow --- can't help it we's all related ---- aaaaaaaaaw that's a nuff, y'all'd just fit right in !!!