Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72

Thread: Teaching an Old Dog new tricks ain't easy.

  1. #21
    Senior Member C.Roberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Poplar Plains, Ky. "Foothills of the Appalachians"
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post
    Hey Clawed --- a TRU Ball "3-fingered what" ??? ---- They make about as many 3-fingered releases, as Carters little pills in one bottle.
    You got that right, but I only need one to shoot. Oh, and also the one that is waiting for me somewhere in the tall weeds. you see this free internet information said just release my fingers and it would fire. Absolutely correct, releasing my fingers sent my arrow and release down range, but neither where I was aiming. Guess maybe they didn't mean for me to completely release my fingers.
    Seems as if I'm to be a real hinge shooter, as Sonny said a collection of them to show, will be a necessity. Maybe it's like grandmothers and pictures of their grandchildren, let me show you my hinges. Someone even told me that changing hinges every few shots would help accuracy, Hmm now there's a reason for a larger release bag, but I'm determined to master it.
    Last edited by C.Roberts; 08-29-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    What's muscle memory? At my age, I it's hard to remember having muscles, or memory.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    370
    i shot my HT into the basement wall...Joey at tru ball repaired it for me and at his suggestion i let him add a lanyard to it so it wouldn't happen again. cheap insurance.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Fulton County, Illinois
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Roberts View Post
    You got that right, but I only need one to shoot. Oh, and also the one that is waiting for me somewhere in the tall weeds. you see this free internet information said just release my fingers and it would fire. Absolutely correct, releasing my fingers sent my arrow and release down range, but neither where I was aiming. Guess maybe they didn't mean for me to completely release my fingers.
    Seems as if I'm to be a real hinge shooter, as Sonny said a collection of them to show, will be a necessity. Maybe it's like grandmothers and pictures of their grandchildren, let me show you my hinges. Someone even told me that changing hinges every few shots would help accuracy, Hmm now there's a reason for a larger release bag, but I'm determined to master it.
    Well, if so...My collection ain't near big enough....

    Now, on the upside, you get really, really good...You can get a sponsor for arrows...So no worry about running out of arrows....And then if really, really, good, you might land some shaving cream commercial...Polident stickup or cleanum...or Viagra...

  4. #24
    Senior Member C.Roberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Poplar Plains, Ky. "Foothills of the Appalachians"
    Posts
    136
    Time for me to fess up. This time I ain't just whistling Dixie, I'm serious as a heart attack, and it's all due to some really good advice from an internet hinge shooter by the name of Padgett, who gave me his hinge setup procedure. Yes, I've been accused being a little skeptical, well maybe hard headed in my old age. I figured that I would surely be giving up on it, as this is not the first time I've tried shooting a hinge.
    Terry, another geezer from up Pennsylvania way, who impressed me when I first started shooting, tried to get me into shooting a hinge and now I know what he was trying to tell me. Now that Padgett has helped me over the hump, that was always the reason I gave it up, I'm now feeling that if only I'd setup my sequence properly, I probably would have been shooting a hinge before now.
    Maybe my shooting will never be as good as a lot of others, but for the last few days my groups at 40 yards have been what never in a million years, would I have thought I could accomplish. The hinge gets more comfortable each session, and for the first time it's so exciting and each shot brings out that....wow.. never thought I could do that. Shooting is fun again, and I seem to surprise myself with my improved accuracy. Just wanted to say ''Thanks Padgett''
    What's muscle memory? At my age, I it's hard to remember having muscles, or memory.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Roberts View Post
    Time for me to fess up. This time I ain't just whistling Dixie, I'm serious as a heart attack, and it's all due to some really good advice from an internet hinge shooter by the name of Padgett, who gave me his hinge setup procedure. Yes, I've been accused being a little skeptical, well maybe hard headed in my old age. I figured that I would surely be giving up on it, as this is not the first time I've tried shooting a hinge.
    Terry, another geezer from up Pennsylvania way, who impressed me when I first started shooting, tried to get me into shooting a hinge and now I know what he was trying to tell me. Now that Padgett has helped me over the hump, that was always the reason I gave it up, I'm now feeling that if only I'd setup my sequence properly, I probably would have been shooting a hinge before now.
    Maybe my shooting will never be as good as a lot of others, but for the last few days my groups at 40 yards have been what never in a million years, would I have thought I could accomplish. The hinge gets more comfortable each session, and for the first time it's so exciting and each shot brings out that....wow.. never thought I could do that. Shooting is fun again, and I seem to surprise myself with my improved accuracy. Just wanted to say ''Thanks Padgett''
    great for you...now get ready to go get them guys...i'll watch from my usual spot.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Quitman, Ga
    Posts
    387
    Oh Oh !!! --- A Labor Day News Alert !!! --- "Clawed fessed up" --- we now gotta new star on the horizon --- a new force ta reckon with --- heard tell he's already buildin a trophy shelf in his hay loft --- "whats a mother to do" ??? !!!

    Fer sure now everyones gonna hafta step up their game at the Geezer Bowl --- no walks in the park next season --- anybody gotta full list a geezers, so a APB can be sent out ???

    ALSO, gotta git a holt a the oddsmakers in Vegas, n' give em a heads up --- this is BIG news !!!

    Oh my oh my !!! --- Course, who knows --- he shootin w/o a safety he might not have no front choppers left by then n' end up goin back to the wrist caliper release --- what a dalemma he could have on his hands.

    Oh well.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Fulton County, Illinois
    Posts
    112
    For those want, Padgetts's procedure can be posted. Also, he is of the sort that will help you through his procedure and work out other issues should they come about.

    Best test I ever had was shooting from 30 yards indoors, at the shop. First shot to take and a bet I couldn't drill the X on a NFAA 5 spot. Full draw, anchor and aiming and the "Better" turned the lights off. Yeah, me in the dark (Helps that I am in the dark all the time). Anyway, me, the "bettie", felt all good and dead on and let go. Dead X, about as pretty as could be. Wish the bet was for more than a Diet Coke...
    The release I used was the Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, no pulling post, not even drilled for one.

  8. #28
    Senior Member C.Roberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Poplar Plains, Ky. "Foothills of the Appalachians"
    Posts
    136
    Sounds like Sonny is getting all primed up to join the class of the Masters of magical myths, and misfortunes . That golden age will be here before you know it.
    Elkie, no need to get so scared that you will end up like the last couple of years, and not even show for the 2014 festival to determine the ''GRAND MASTER GEEZER'' now that you are an ASA podium award winning geezer, you now have a reputation to defend. Pay no attention to the fact that i'll be making my debut as a new hinge shooter. You see, after watching you and Carlosii tickle those things with your pinkies, I just couldn't stand to be outdone.
    Word is that the multiple Indiana FAA state master champion , multiple Indiana ASA state master champion, as well as the Regional ProAm master senior winner of the Indiana event, will be signing autographs.
    What's muscle memory? At my age, I it's hard to remember having muscles, or memory.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Roberts View Post
    Word is that the multiple Indiana FAA state master champion , multiple Indiana ASA state master champion, as well as the Regional ProAm master senior winner of the Indiana event, will be signing autographs.
    i will NOT be signing autographs...the NCAA would be on me like a wet sheet...btw, you left out IFAA animal round record holder...ahem...just sayin'.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    370
    Seriously, Clawed, are you following Padgett's routine to the letter? I'm wondering about the part where you draw with thumb on the peg, take thumb off the peg and it [U]must[U] fire within 3 seconds. is that the way its happening for you?

    I'm shooting that sweet spot with the safety, but I'm not satisfied because I'm thinking I too frequently punch it. That's why I'm not shooting better.

    Any feed back will be appreciated...you know how I look up to you and Elkie...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •